Saw this great six minute TED talk today. Thought I’d share it with those of you who are struggling with the idea of becoming a vegetarian because you love meat but feel bad about the animals and the environment. Here’s a compromise for you. As Graham Hill, the speaker says, the name says it all!
I have to say, even though Whole Foods is terribly over priced, I really can find some great Vegan food there. Today I had Vegan Pizza fresh baked with grilled vegetables on top. OMG! It was great! It didn’t even have soy protein in it, which I try to avoid because of the controversy over soy protein isolates. Highly recommended food item!!!! Another Whole Food hot bar favorite of mine is now the Vegan Samosas. Had them last week and am still thinking about how good they were. Yummy!
On Saturday when I was snowboarding with a friend, he told me that he had a Vegan cookie and it was the worst thing he had ever tasted. I proceeded to tell him about some better Vegan options that you could get that quite honestly, if I weren’t Vegan, I would still choose because they’re THAT good. So, I thought I’d share with you my Top Ten Vegan Snack Delights as of today, and where you can get them;
1. Trader Joe’s Chocolate Chip Vegan Cookies, Trader Joe’s. (Sweet, soft and chocolaty goodness)
2. Uncle Eddies Vegan Oatmeal Chocolate Chip Cookies, Whole Foods or Henry’s Market (Also available in Trail Mix, Peanut butter, and my other favorite, Oatmeal Raisin)
3. Endangered Species All-Natural Dark Chocolate with Cranberries & Almonds, Whole Foods. (Generally, if you go for an expensive dark chocolate, it’s got no milk products in it, so you’re good to go!)
4. Vegan Raspberry Rugala, Whole Foods. (A very yummy naughty pastry treat. Try heating them in the oven for 5 minutes. They’re even more naughty. These come in chocolate too, just as yummy)
5. Philippine Brand Dried Mangoes, Costco. (Not just any dried mangoes. These things are so good, you’d choose them over candy any day. My dogs are addicted to them, so am I)
6. Majestic Garlic, Dill Healthy Creamy Garlic, Raw & Vegan, Whole Foods. (Also available in Plain Garlic, Basil, Cilantro, Red Pepper…..all excellent, but the Dill one is totally more-ish. I dip bread or crackers in it, spread it on sandwiches…great when everyone else is chowing on cheese nachos or ranch dip.)
7. Trader Joe’s Smooth & Creamy Roasted Red Pepper Hummus, Trader Joe’s. (Of course we all know Hummus is Vegan. However, there’s many brands of it out there and only a few that have really healthy ingredients and really great flavor. This is one of the best ones I’ve tried….and believe me, I’ve tried a lot!)
8. Earth Cafe, Cherry Dream Cheesecake, Whole Foods (Raw & Vegan, and you’d never believe it!…also comes in many more delectable flavors, like Raspberry, Carob, Lemon, Blueberry, Peach. Cherry is my favorite because it has nice big chunks of cherries in it.)
9. So Delicious Cultured Coconut Milk Yogurt, Henry’s Market, Albertsons, Whole Foods. (Has probiotics, tastes like yogurt, and comes in all yogurt flavors. Vanilla is my favorite.)
10. Rice Dream, Rice Nog, Henry’s Market, Whole Foods. (If you want Egg Nog, but you’re a Vegan, this is pretty good stuff. Not quite the real thing, but pretty good. They also make Horchata that tastes really good.)
Having listed these phenomenal food items, I do have to say that there just isn’t enough good tasting food out there for Vegans. For every good Vegan treat I’ve found, I’ve had to taste probably 3 really bad tasting products. I would love to say I’ve found a good chocolate cake, muffin, truffle, mousse, flan, or apple turnover, but alas, all the ones I’ve tried really do taste pretty awful. If you know of any other amazingly good Vegan snacks, please let me know! Thanks 🙂