Eggplant can be quite difficult to prepare without soaking it in oil or some kind of sauce, which I don’t always want. I’ve developed this technique of cooking it quickly, without all the oil, but all the flavor of a stir-fry.
This is a quick and easy vegan meal that I like to cook myself when my boyfriend feels like a ham and cheese sandwich! He hates eggplant, so I always cook it when he fancies some dead animal for lunch.
Ingredients For Stir-fry:
- 1 lb of eggplant (aubergine)
- A handful of bean sprouts
- A handful of snow peas (mange tu)
- Italian spice mix
- Half a small onion finely chopped
- Dried chilli peppers (optional for a spicier flavor)
- Ghee or avocado oil
Ingredients For Vegan Pesto Hummus:
- 1 lb of garbanzo beans, preferably sprouted
- 1/2 cup of pine nuts
- Large bunch of fresh basil
- Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- To prepare the hummus in advance, you can either use raw sprouted garbanzo beans, cooked un-sprouted soaked beans, or sprouted cooked beans. To cook them, simply boil for 10-15 mins.
- Put all the hummus ingredients in a blender and mix until it looks like hummus!
- If you are not a vegan, add a couple of good spoonfuls of Parmesan cheese to make it a full on Pesto sauce.
- To prepare the eggplant, chop into even slices.
- Put a little avocado oil, onion and spices into a frying pan and brown the eggplant stirring frequently to avoid burning. Do this for about 5 mins.
- When the oil has dried up, fill the pan with about 1cm of water, almost covering the eggplant. Allow to simmer uncovered until the water has evaporated, poaching the eggplant.
- When all the water has dried up, add a little more avocado oil, along with the bean sprouts and snow peas. Stir-fry for about 3 mins, gently tossing the ingredients.
- Serve with a fresh dollop of hummus on top!