I like to make my own naughty treats because at least I know that all the ingredients are real and I can adapt them to suit my needs. This recipe is diary and wheat free. You can eliminate the nuts and substitute almond milk for coconut milk to make it nut free. (see my Vegan Seed Bites recipe). This recipe makes about 24 pieces, at around 2×2″. Keep in the fridge.
- 4 cups of oats
- 1 cup of sultanas or raisins
- 1/2 cup of slivered almonds
- 1/2 cup of hazelnut pieces
- 1/4 cup of sunflower seeds
- 1/4 cup of pumpkin seeds
- 1/4 cup flax seeds
- 4 tbsp golden syrup
- 3 tbsp coconut oil
- 1/2 cup of almond milk
- 2 bananas
- 2 large bars of dark dairy free cooking chocolate (or regular dark cooking chocolate / or carob chocolate)
- Preheat oven to about 200c/400F.
- Mash 2 bananas in a mixing bowl.
- Add oats, all nuts, seeds and fruit to bowl.
- Melt coconut oil and golden syrup in a pan slowly until both are runny.
- Poor mixture in bowl along with almond milk and mix thoroughly.
- Place mixture in a large tin, lined with grease proof paper, or parchment paper.
- Bake for 25 mins.
- Let stand to cool for 30 mins.
- Prepare a bain marie. A bain marie is best for melting chocolate as it is easy to accidentally burn chocolate. To do this, boil some water in a saucepan. Put a heat safe bowl, like Pyrex over the top of the boiling water and place the pieces of chocolate into the bowl. It should take just a few minutes for the chocolate to melt completely.
- Poor the melted chocolate over the cooled oat bites. Allow to chill in fridge for 30 mins, then cut into chunks and serve!
- These bites are really rich. The dark chocolate is very powerful. If you prefer, substitute the dark chocolate with milk chocolate, if you’re okay with dairy. I’ve used Green & Black’s Organic 70% Dark Chocolate to make this treat before, which turned out rather well too.