This is a vegan recipe that you can adapt for vegetarians by adding dairy, and for meat eaters, by adding bacon off cuts. I’ll include notes in the description for these options, but the basic recipe is diary and meat free. This batch will serve about 6-8 servings.
- 4 medium onions
- 1 head of garlic
- 3 large leaks
- 4 large potatoes
- 2 tbsps Coconut Oil
- Finely ground white pepper
- (A splash of milk or cream, and 1/4 lbs butter for added vegetarian option.)
- (1/2 lb of bacon off cuts for meat eaters.)
- Bread for croutons
- Heat coconut oil in large pot. Chop garlic and onions finely and sweat in oil for a couple of minutes.
- If you are adding meat, chop it finely and add it to the mix now. Brown gently before moving to the next step.
- Chop leeks finely and add to onions and garlic. Sweat leeks until they start to go soft.
- Add boiling water to the mixture, covering all the ingredients in the pot.
- Add salt and pepper.
- Bring to the boil, then add finely chopped potatoes to the mix.
- Bring to a boil again, then reduce heat and partially cover with a lid. Allow to simmer for about an hour. Stir occasionally. Make sure to add more water if it seems like the liquid is evaporating. I may add up to 4 pints of water while I’m cooking. Add less for a thicker soup.
- You can cook this for more time if want. I like to leave it on low and cook it for a couple of hours usually. I go away and do other things while it is cooking. You can cook it in a slow cooker if you like too.
- Your soup is now ready. For non vegans, you can now add a dash of dairy to the soup to make it creamier. Just pop in the extra dairy to taste and stir on low heat.
- I prefer a chunky soup, but if you prefer a smooth soup, simply blend the soup now before serving.
- Chop bread in to tiny cubes and gently shallow fry in oil to make croutons.